Why Are The Belts Not Tracking?
Below is a list of possible reasons why a belt is not tracking properly.
- Belt tension is too low.
- Sanding pressure is too high or too low.
- Uneven sanding pressure
- Contact roll or idler roll is worn.
- There is dust between belt and contact roll.
- Variation in workpiece thickness.
- Alignment between contact roll and idler roll is incorrect.
- Belt stretched due to improper work feeding.
- Platen is out of position.
- Damaged belt edge interfering with tracking mechanism. Check for humidity imbalance. Also, try increasing belt tension.
- Belt tension overriding the tracking cylinder.
- Tracking mechanism is defective or out of adjustment.
- Electric eye photo cell defective or dusty. Clean regularly.
- Microswitch failure or damage
- Air jet controlled tracking mechanism may fail due to drop in line pressure. Check jets for blockage.
- Contact roll is tapered.
- Belt joined or cut incorrectly.
- Idler crown area is worn (narrow belts only).